Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Martin Luther Quotes

I found these quotes from Luther a long time ago sitting in a text file on my work computer from 2003. I obviously liked them then and as I reread them I like them now. Relevent as ever.

“You are not only responsible for what you say, but also for what you do not say”

"Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long." (A personal favorite)

"Some plague the people with too long sermons; for the faculty of listening is a tender thing, and soon becomes weary and satiated."

"I shall never be a heretic; I may err in dispute, but I do not wish to decide anything finally; on the other hand, I am not bound by the opinions of men."

"I am afraid that the schools will prove the very gates of hell, unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures and engraving them in the heart of the youth."

"An earthly kingdom cannot exist without inequality of persons. Some must be free, some serfs, some rulers, some subjects."

“If he have faith, the believer cannot be restrained. He betrays himself. He breaks out. He confesses and teaches this gospel to the people at the risk of life itself.”

No comments: