Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The 8th and Final Day of My Summer Vacation

6:45AM,  I awake, bu not as lively as in the past.  It was only 5 hours of sleep.  I go downstairs and say hi to Eric and Luke, his middle child.  Eric offered food but we had to get going and I didn't want to put him out.  He said he'd make pancakes.  Instead I declined but I promised Luke that his dad would make him pancakes.

7:30AM,  I prepare to turn on the car and smoke up the entire northwestern quadrant of Broomfield.  Nothing...hmmmm.  Perhaps the car just needs time to warm up.  My mission was to drive to WalMart first and get enough oil to last the day.  It was killing me buying individual quarts at $4 each.  I pull into what was perhaps the largest Super Walmart I've ever seen.  As is my luck, I enter the store the precise longest distance from the Auto department.  A mile later or so I get to the oil aisle,  This is not to be confused with the oil isle in the Gulf.  I purchase three 5 quart containers of oil.  In the parking lot I top off the oil with one of my last two remaining quart bottles.  We head off.  Curiously though I still see no smoke from our car.  Not even the little cloud bursts on acceleration.

9:30AM,  I stop to check the oil after 130 miles.  It is down a quarter of a quart.  God bless America...well and Sweden in this case.

10:30AM,  We stop one more time.  I check the oil.  No movement.  We are at the border of Nebraska and I hand the reigns over to Ike.  He's a man now and I give him the distinct pleasure, honor and privilege of driving across Nebraska. From this point forward I will describe my impression of Nebraska:   zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

2:30PM,  I wake up as we need gas.  I check the oil.  It's down a half a quart.  Our car is healing itself.  Later on we decide it is a combo of the sealant taking some effect overnight along with a change in altitude making the turbo not blow so much oil.  Back to Nebraska...Ike continues the honor of driving. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

5:30PM,  Omaha, NE and we gas up again.  This time I take over driving because I am SUPER excited to get Iowa and Illinois for my shift.  I will now describe driving through Iowa:


12:15AM,  Screw it, I can't come up with anything.  A zombie could've driven that stretch.  I arrive home.  The car made it.  I am tired.  Karen has arrived home before me from her class in Iowa.  She worked herself into a sweat cleaning up all the cat boxes and messes the cats made while we were gone.  I unload the car but I will wait until after church in the morning to start on laundry, house cleaning and yardwork.  Honestly it will be a welcome change from vacation.  If you need some oil, I've got 15 quarts in the back of my car.  I'll fix the turbo in a couple of weeks. 

1:30AM,  I go to bed.  I wonder what Bob is doing right now.  Will the creepy beach stalker ever find a girl of legal age that likes him?  I hope Lisa can survive another year in Cedar City.  What is the percentage of Prius owners in California?  Are the people stuck on the freeway in Victorville even home yet?  I might just have to take a road trip soon and visit all my friends to find out.

No comments: